Sunday, October 10, 2010

Smells that linger!!

Have you ever had a mysterious odor in your home? It has certainly happened to me. Having young children in my home, I usually assume it is just something in the trash can. I often try to ignore it. Have you noticed that an odor that stings your nose, will eventually fade into the background? Even though the smell is still there, you become used to it. You may even forget about it until it hits you in the face again, or until someone else mentions it.


One way of handling it, is to cover it up. Candles, and cans of air freshner may offer a bit of relief, but eventually you realize that you now have a fruity smelling odor. It is still there, just covered up.

Oh, how I dread the moment that I give up and decide to dig in, find the source, and clean up the mess. It is almost scary when you find yourself getting closer and closer, the odor growing stronger. You know there will be unpleasant things to dig into and a mess to clean up.


God wants to do this with our past hurts and sins. He wants to reveal to us the areas that we have simply gotten used to and grown comfortable with. He wants to remove all of the things that we've used to cover the areas that are contaminated. He wants us to allow him to dig into the pungent mess, and find the source. He knows we're scared, and he knows we don't want to reveal the things that have been left to rot. He also knows that the longer those things sit, the more they will infest our lives and even the lives of others.


God can destroy our mess and replace it with a refreshing aroma! An aroma that is welcoming to others and pleasing to Him. Allow God to search the depths of your life. Allow him to find those areas that let off an unpleasant stench. Allow him to replace it with the pleasing aroma of forgiveness, peace, and and healing.


Authored by: LEIGH RAMSEY


Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Psalm 51:6-10


Lord today I pray over each one who reads this post and feels the sting of the unpleasant odor in their life. May they release to you any issue that is "lingering", causing unrest, worry or perhaps unforgiveness. I pray peace and rest for them. May they begin to uncover what they have tried so hard to bury and give it to you. In JESUS precious name - amen.

post signature

No comments: